What is success? It’s an ongoing conversation over at The Modern Femme Movement, so when I was introduced to Susan Ford Collins’ new book: The Joy of Success: 10 Essential Skills for Getting the Success You Want, I knew I had to check it out. I love her approach to defining success, especially when it comes to “deletion.” She’s kindly shared her insight below!
What is success? Most people never ask themselves this crucial question, but highly successful people (HSPs) have. Here’s what they told me. Success has 3 essential parts… and you have to have the ability to produce all three kinds.
1-Success is Completion… Yes, this is the part of success most people know about… accomplishment. Starting, doing and finishing what we set out to do (or others set out for us.) You can tell a lot about your future successes by your past successes… your accomplishments and contributions to date. [The world] wants to know that you’re a completer, not just a starter, so consider something most people would have given up on, but you didn’t. Or a painful experience you turned from a loss to a win.
2- Success is also Deletion…. sometimes success is not doing, knowing when to let go of what no longer works, old habits, methods and relationships, habits that make you wild and crazy, stuffy and stressed. [The world] wants to hear about your Deletion Successes because they demonstrate character, tenacity and follow through. What have you let go of that could have ruined your life, but didn’t? (Some deletion successes may seem too private to share but revealing them in a positive light shows others you’re open and willing to share experiences you’ve had that can help others.)
3- Success is Creation… success is being able to go beyond what we’ve been taught, beyond the methods that are commonly in use. Success is coming up with new ways. It’s no longer enough to succeed by just completing and deleting, you also have to be creators and leaders. Your ability to create and innovate is what [your peers are] looking for, first and foremost.
What will you create that will change the world?
Here’s something HSPs do each day you probably don’t. HSPs Success File. Yes, they set aside time each day to acknowledge their own successes instead of waiting for others to do it for them. Why? Because they plan to do big, creative, impossible things! (Keep in mind, impossible simply means that no one else has done it… so it could be you!)
HSPs don’t want to be dependent on others’ agreement and acknowledgment. Success Filing gives them the Self-Confidence they need to keep going no matter what obstacles beset them or who laughs or disagrees as they venture into The Potential Zone. They rewind to the beginning of their day and recall the things that they were able to do and be, all their completions, deletions and creations. They know BIG SUCCESSES come as the result of millions of tiny daily successes. And millions of tiny corrections!
You can Success File alone or with a supportive friend, teacher or [business partner]. They will probably point out successes they noticed and you didn’t. It’s important to “success yourself up”!
The Two Laws of Success Filing:
1 -When your Success File is full, you feel Success-Full. When you Success File is low, you feel dependent and needy. And you tend to lie around, eat, drink and procrastinate!
2 – Success is your past gives you confidence in your future. And, success in your past gives [The World] the confidence in you they need to tell you YES!
Susan Ford Collins…“America’s Premier Success and Leadership Coach” CNN… is the creator of THE TECHNOLOGY of SUCCESS, the powerful leadership system used in more than 3,000 training programs in major corporations and organizations, in startups and turnarounds. Audiences begged Susan to write about the 10 Success Skills so after shadowing Highly Successful People (HSPs) for 20 years and coaching them for 20 more, she wrote The Joy of Success, Success Has Gears, and Our Children Are Watching, all now available on amazon. www.susanfordcollins.com orwww.technologyofsuccess.com
A Sure Fire Way To Get More Sales: Email Marketing
Let’s face it – it is tough being a mom and holding down a career. The 9-5 jobs are becoming remnants of the past that no longer serve the 21st-century woman. Online business has been increasing in the past ten years with affiliate marketing (this business venture is growing) and e-commerce shops becoming some of the most prominent sources of income for stay at home mothers.
With the number of people now taking their careers in their own hand (congratulations)- competition may appear to be much harsher and challenging now. However, that is far from the truth. The online world is getting bigger thus making it now a great time to start your own online business.
The best way to get a steady stream of income to your site is through email marketing. Email marketing is perhaps one of the most important factors in building your business. It is often said, “that the money is in the list.”
This phrase is talking about the email list that you acquire. It is difficult trying to go out and sell to different people – but when you have a list of people who has already bought for you, they will be more likely to do business with you.
It is important to understand this. Online shops are no different from physical stores. Treat your customers with respect and they will be more likely to buy from you. Make an offer and give giveaways to those on your email list and not only do you get their loyalty but they can also potentially refer family and freed s to your site.
Running an online business is not that difficult when you know the tools of the trade, and it is important that you build a list of loyal customers and that you not only keep them up to date on the best sales and offers but that you reward the customer base you have,
The money is in the list. Email marketing is perhaps the most undress strategy for many businesses which is why so many small online businesses fail, but when you understand the tools fo the trade, it is more than feasible to create a steady flow of income and to build a brand that will bring more people to the site every day.
It takes time, effort and diligence but when these attributes are used efficiently the days of working a 9 – 5 with a boss from hell yelling down your back will be just a fading memory. And is there really anything better than this?
The money is good, but it’s the independence that counts. Remember the money is in the list. So build that list.
24 Super Awesome Articles for Busy Working Moms
You may have noticed a bit of feast or famine over here at Chaos & Kiddos. Why? Because we’ve been sharing the love all over! Yup, that’s right. When we’re not here actively posting, it’s usually because we have the great honor to share our voice on other platforms. We thought you might like to keep up with where we’ve been! So…check out these 24 super awesome articles for busy working moms. Enjoy!
Need a little parenting pick me up? Look no further! Grab a cup of coffee and kick back for a good read. Pick up a few tips and tricks, and give yourself a pat on the back, because you’re doing an AWESOME job.
Tell the truth…We bet you’re working too hard! It’s ok. We all do. Let’s band together and give ourselves permission for a little TLC, a whole lot more community and the opportunity to thrive professionally and personally, being our best selves for those we love most.
Our very favorite!! Sharing the tips and tricks to help your business grow, the creative ideas that are making big waves in the entrepreneurial and those little reminders that get you back on track as a motivated, focused small business owner.
Health and Wellness
Last, but certainly not least, the most important part. Staying healthy and being well. The journey towards balance is just that…a journey. Join us as we walk together towards a more meaningful, enriched life.
Do you have any super awesome articles for busy working moms? Share them below in the comments! Let’s face it, time is a hot commodity around here, and most of us don’t have time to blog hop! So…if you’ve done us the great honor by taking time out of your busy day to stop here, then THANK YOU! From the bottom of our hearts. And if you have a resource to share, please do so! Any opportunity we have to connect a resource with a need, whether it’s our information or not, is a big win for us, and for YOU!
And that’s why we’re here. For you. XOXO
6 Quick Tips for Your Growing Business
Every small business owner dreams big. What starts as a tiny idea and a basement pop-up shop has high hopes for one day becoming a huge factory outputting 10,000 units a day. Or perhaps your home kitchen cupcake shop turns into franchises all over the country. Whatever business you find yourself in, you dream of growth. Big growth. But what happens when that day suddenly approaches? When and how do you take the next big step? Check out these 6 quick tips for your growing business and make sure you don’t become your own stumbling block by rushing and not following your due paces as your business expands.
1. Plan. Don’t Rush. Be Patient. The excitement of growth can cause us to make hasty decisions. When the opportunity to grow appears, we want to leap right there and achieve the dream overnight. If you do not diligently outline your business growth plan and the specific parameters and timeline associated with its completion, you can find yourself spending more money than you have and stuck in poor decisions that sufficed short term but lacked long term vision. Take your time. Discuss every possibility. Communicate and commit to writing your 5, 10 and 15 year goals. Take your time to thoughtfully consider all short and long term implications for any decisions that you make.
2. Manage Your Money. Meet with a Financial Advisor. An extension of Rule #1, it’s time to outline your finances in minute detail. Make sure you have a crystal clear understanding of your finances, including cash flow, debt and the potential short and long term impact of any big money moves. Create a detailed financial plan to achieve your business growth without putting you out of business. The last place you want to be is in a larger facility with more debt and no cash. Take your time to plan and use cash wisely, consider creative ways to invest and fund your prospective growth and have a professional provide insight for all big decisions. You are in business for the long term, you need to manage your money like you believe that.
3. Utilize Your Resources. A further extension to Rules #1 and #2 is to consult legal counsel. Whether you’re signing a new lease, purchasing a property or remodeling an existing site, be sure to understand the liabilities and legal responsibility those decision entail. Have all contract agreements reviewed in detail and allow your lawyer to manage risk intelligently with your best interests in mind. Excitement can push someone to sign on the dotted line without reading the fine print. Simply put, that can be the kiss of death to any business. Take your time and make sure you, your family, your clients and ultimately, your business are well protected and legally sound.
4. Transition Deliberately. A move of any kind can cause a rupture in communication with your client. Even when the change on the horizon is mutually beneficial, people can oppose change and experience discomfort during the transition. Thoughtfully consider whether your business growth will cause any outages, delays to service or other adjustments to your usual workflow. Communicate with your client base so that they know what to expect and in what time frame. Acknowledge their importance by going above and beyond for any clients who might experience a bit of growing pains along with you. Whether you offer a “thanks for your patience” discount or simply take the time to pick up the phone or take them to lunch, let your clients know that the changes coming will help you to serve them better. Thank them for providing the opportunity for your business to grow.
5. Stick to the Plan. Hold yourself accountable. Better yet, nominate someone else to hold you accountable. Once you have a detailed written plan of action, stick with it. You made that plan after doing your homework, consulting the pros and seriously considering exactly what future you are moving towards. That plan wasn’t created on a whim…it was purposeful and designed for efficiency, effectiveness and ultimately, long term success. Don’t let your heart get the better of you by straying at a moment’s notice because you’ve just “gotta have it now!” Treat that plan like law. That’s not to say it won’t be tweaked here and there, but the fundamental foundation should remain in tact and you should be committed to staying the course.
6. Celebrate! The fun part! You’re about to accomplish something exceptional! All of that hard work, blood, sweat and tears are finally paying off. It’s an exciting, scary, exhilarating time for you. Take a moment to relish this part of your journey. It’s ok to pat yourself on the back and say “I did it!” Let your client base celebrate with you. You’re extending them new services, better quality, more attention and availability…this business growth is for them! And because of them. Create anticipation for your new grand opening. Set up an open house, share sneak peeks on social media. Help everyone hop on the thrill ride as you take the next professional leap.
If you keep these quick tips to business growth handy and refer back to them throughout your expansion process, you’ll be able to gut check your decisions and intentions. Ask yourself if you’ve fulfilled each point or if you’ve cut corners anywhere and left yourself exposed. Use it as a marker to remind yourself what you committed to when you decided to take the next big step. These quick tips to business growth won’t steer you wrong. Congratulations on a worthy accomplishment! We can’t wait to see you continue to grow in the years to come!