When it comes to food, dogs know exactly how to get what they want. Whether it’s starring you down with those irresistible puppy-dog eyes or waiting until your back is turned to sneak some food from the table, they can be very resourceful. One of the hardest things to do is to monitor everything your dog eats, as you just never know what they’ll find in the field on their daily walk. You can, however, make sure that they aren’t exposed to harmful human foods when at home. Many people aren’t quite sure which foods are harmful to dogs, so continue reading to find out what your dog shouldn’t be eating.
There are lots of ‘milk’ products on the market for puppies and dogs, but these products often have lots of other ingredients that make them suitable for your four-legged friend. Milk isn’t going to be life threatening to your dog; however, it can cause tummy upset and diarrhoea which would be unpleasant for your pet. Dogs don’t have a large number of enzymes that break down lactose, which is why milk can cause them discomfort and result in them becoming poorly.
Everybody knows that chocolate is a huge no no when it comes to dogs. Chocolate is a harmful food that can cause your dog all sorts of problems. One of the main ingredients in chocolate that is harmful to your dog is Theobromine. This ingredient is a poisonous stimulant for your dog and when consumed, there can be affects on your dog’s heart, gut and kidneys, so its important to avoid chocolate always. Head over to retailers like Petwell to find a huge selection of delicious dog treats, so you don’t have to worry about giving them human snacks instead. It’s important to know that chocolate can result in your dog experiencing loss of appetite, vomiting, restlessness and in the worst-case scenario, seizures. So, if you think your dog may have consumed some chocolate and they have any symptoms, take them to the vet immediately to ensure they get the treatments required.
It may seem strange to have alcohol on the list, but you’d be surprised how many people think treating their pups to some beer or wine is acceptable. Alcohol is an extremely poisonous substance to dogs, so it’s important you don’t get carried away and add any to their water bowls! No matter how much alcohol your dog consumes, they could instantly start to experience vomiting, tremors and breathing difficulties, with some cases resulting in death. Similarly, you need to make sure that any foods containing alcohol such as Christmas pudding or alcohol centred chocolates are as far away from your playful pooch as possible.
From coffee beans to teabags, our pups somehow manage to sneak them when spending time in the kitchen. It doesn’t matter if you put the teabag in the bin or the coffee beans spilt on the floor, dogs are very quick and don’t miss a trick. We don’t want our dogs to consume caffeine because it is a stimulant, which is no good for their health. Caffeine poisoning can result in vomiting and other internal issues which can become very expensive trips to the vets! So, best to keep the caffeine away from your fur babies.