Connect with us

Linkups

Think Outside the Toy Box Summer Series: Funny Face Planters

Published

on

Think Outside the Toy Box | Funny Face Planters | Chaos & Kiddos
It’s the very last week of the Think Outside the Toy Box Summer Series, and I admit, I’m more than a little sad! This challenge has been a highlight of our summer. We’ve had wonderful family days together, playing and crafting, and in truth, this challenge pushed me to make sure I was taking the time to introduce my kids to art and creative play and to put aside the busy of life for some simple fun. We’re going out strong this week with milk jugs! We had a blast creating Funny Face Planters that are now decorating our back porch with pretty flowers and a bit of silly.
Think Outside the Toy Box | Funny Face Planters | Chaos & Kiddos
I’d been stashing milk jugs for a few weeks before this project, so we were ready to go with 4, so the boys got 2 each. I chopped the front top off, but left the handles so they were easy for the boys to carry them.
Think Outside the Toy Box | Funny Face Planters | Chaos & Kiddos
They each got to take turns telling me what they wanted their faces to look like. I asked questions like “Do you want big eyes or small eyes?” and “Is your face happy or sad or scary?” and “Do you want long hair or short hair?” so they had a blast controlling what I was drawing. It was also a great opportunity for them to imagine and identify feelings and how that might look on their planter characters.
B went for a pirate and a curly-haired girl.
Think Outside the Toy Box | Funny Face Planters | Chaos & Kiddos
J asked for a scary monster face and admittedly, was a bit distracted on the last one, so I may have inserted my own creative vision with a little Jessica Rabbit throwback (This one had a persistent sticker that needed to be covered up).
Think Outside the Toy Box | Funny Face Planters | Chaos & Kiddos
We used construction paper for the hair, along with a little Elmer’s glue and the Funny Face Planters were born!! By the way, where the milk bottles had gaps or impressions, we used them to our advantage with super crazy eyes!
Think Outside the Toy Box | Funny Face Planters | Chaos & Kiddos
After a quick trip to pick up some flowers, it was time to head outside for the messy fun. I picked up a bag of potting soil, and along with two brand new Mickey trowels, the boys filled each of their jugs with dirt. And the rest of my deck. With dirt. And the dog. Yup, with more dirt.
2014-07-27_0006 Think Outside the Toy Box | Funny Face Planters | Chaos & Kiddos
Once they had their planters mostly filled, I inserted the flowers and filled around the edges. Our lovely Funny Faces Family was done!
2014-07-27_0011 Think Outside the Toy Box | Funny Face Planters | Chaos & Kiddos
Do you have a fun activity with milk jugs? Be sure to link it up below! And check out these fabulous blogs for more ideas!
Think Outside the Toy Box Summer Series | Chaos & Kiddos: Mommy's Survival Guide

Continue Reading
19 Comments

19 Comments

1. Marina Silva-Opps

July 28, 2014 at 8:40 am

What a great use of old plastic containers — very creative!

This is the first time that I visit your site and I have enjoyed it very much. You are a very busy woman, and I am amazed that you still find the time to have such an interesting and informative blog. I recently started a blog and I have trouble finding enough time to work on it. I am an university professor, a mother of a 4 year old, and a step-mother of a 12 year old. In addition, my husband and I have a cottage that we rent to tourists. Any suggestions regarding time efficiency are welcomed!

• Katy Blevins

July 28, 2014 at 9:38 am

Hi Marina! Thanks so much for the kind words and thoughtfulness. I’m a work in progress, and have daily struggles with accomplishing everything I’d like to in the crazy of life. Check out my Pinterest account for lots of helpful resources for staying organizing, managing your time and keeping balance. http://www.pinterest.com/katyblevins/

2. Emily

July 28, 2014 at 8:53 am

These are too cute! So many fun ways to use milk jugs! Thanks for linking up at Bloggers Brags Pinterest party! Pinned! #ibabloggers

• Katy Blevins

July 28, 2014 at 9:36 am

Thanks Emily!! Always love joining Bloggers Brags. Have a great week!

3. Echo

July 28, 2014 at 9:27 am

How much fun are these?! I love the different faces!

• Katy Blevins

July 28, 2014 at 9:36 am

Thanks Echo!! I admit, my inner creative self was having a blast making the faces. Especially loved taking the boys direction and then watching their excitement when they saw it come to life!

4. Nicole @ Or Whatever You Do

July 29, 2014 at 12:31 am

That is so creative and cute! Thanks for sharing with the Merry Monday Linky Party!

5. Kim

August 2, 2014 at 12:03 am

They are so cute! Thanks for linking up to the Bloggers Brag Pinterest Party.

6. Megan Walker

August 4, 2014 at 4:44 pm

I have really enjoyed reading all the posts in this series! Thanks for sharing : )

• Katy Blevins

August 5, 2014 at 9:24 am

Thanks for visiting Megan! I’m sad to see the series finish up. It was so fun!

• Fidelia

April 29, 2016 at 3:07 am

Thnkiing like that is really amazing

• car insurance quote

June 5, 2016 at 3:59 pm

What an amazing and fascinating dish! I love Arabic food and this dish is so full of flavor and spices! I totally love your photos!! Great post

July 8, 2016 at 9:53 am

hahahaa! What a fab idea! I agree with you, I love all the blocks in the group, even those ones made with fabric that would normally bring me out in a rash. It's the magic of the pattern, I think.

August 9, 2016 at 6:49 am

hola queria saber en donde se dictan los cursos y los precios de todos los cursos grupales, cupcakes, galletitas, tortas, etc, desde ya muchas gracias!

• This site is mostly a walk-by for all the information you wished about this and didn’t know who to ask. Glimpse right here, and also you’ll definitely discover it.

November 5, 2016 at 2:29 am

Da, da ..vorbim…vorbim dar ce facem? Uite, Maia macar si-a pus harul in slujba unei cauze.., zic eu bune. Dar voi multi din chibitii atia de pe aici ce faceti concret?Va propun doamnelor si domnilor mai intai sa cititi macar ce a scris alteregos, si apoi sa mergeti sa studiati diverse alte rapoarte, analize tehnice, expertize….etc. ‘si dupa aceea veniti aici si va dati cu parerea. Va propun eu doua teme:1. Trebuie sa expolatam Rosia Monatana2. Cine sa o faca: Statul sau o companie privata?Rabdare si inteligenta!

November 16, 2016 at 1:02 am

, ” diverse, satisfying & delicious” and more to the point it kept him going longer than his usual cereal (always a plus for a teenager who is constantly hungry)

7. Pingback: Tips to Raising Creative Kids + 16 Activities | Prototype Mama

8. Irene

April 29, 2016 at 2:57 am

Boa&uorjjrsquo;aimernis vous fournir photos et petit vidéo de notre opération Pour aller plus loin des bibliothèques de Montréal, qui a commencé sur le parterre du QDS mercredi.Comment faire ?Mercicatherine

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Linkups

That’s What She Said

Published

on

That's What She Said is going WEEKLY! Join us :)

twss2

Each week we will pick a quote, the quotes we choose are women’s words… get it? That’s What She Said.

The link up will run for 2 weeks this week. Starting February 5th we have the linkup live for 5 days!

We will pin and feature our favorites, the following month.

Each week will provide the next week’s quote.

twss3

Please only linkup posts inspired by the quote of the month. We want to see how this quote will get your creative juices flowing.

We would like for you to connect with others, please visit the person who linked up before you and go show some love.

It would be AWESOME if you would share the link up via your social media. #That’sWhatSheSaidLinkUp

Of course, it’s always fun to connect, let’s follow each other along.

Number one rule: Have fun and be creative ♡
TWSS-Crew-1024x341

Mrs AOK, a Work in Progress

Courtney: What’s Up With the Wilhelms

Katy: Chaos & Kiddos

What she said

7pRX0S0c_400x400

We absolutely loved hearing about Karen’s warm holiday memories,

we know you will too.

twss

January's That's What She Said quote: Don't Stumble Over Something Behind You

If there’s any phrase I should have tattooed to my forehead these days, it’s “Don’t stumble over something behind you.” As I head into the New Year, putting 2014 and all its many nightmares behind me is the one resolution I intend to keep. I’d be foolish to say I’m over it and that there is no more hurt to be felt, no more challenges to face, no more stress to overcome, but I’m committed to looking forward to hope, healing and a much more balanced life that is me being me. The one thing I most definitely realized over the past several months is that I haven’t been able to be myself in a very long time. And that’s something I’d like to change.

I will no longer stumble over the fear that comes from wondering what others think of my actions, or how I dress, or what I say, or if I’m cool enough/pretty enough/funny enough/etc. the list goes on and on. I’m looking forward and I’m me. I will no longer stumble over what ifs, whys or if only. I’m looking forward with a “What’s next?” I will no longer punish myself for mistakes I made, cues I missed or moments where I fell short as a wife, mother, friend, woman, daughter, you name it. I’m looking forward with a “You did the best you could with the information that you had. Forgive yourself and be better.”

Progress means learning from the past, not dwelling on it. I can look back now with fresh eyes, remember what happened, and embrace the blessing that is being in a better place today. I know without a shadow of a doubt that I don’t want to go back to what was, even when I think about the good times and the happy moments. So if I’m confident that I’m where I’m supposed to be, there’s no need to stumble or dwell on where I used to be. Each day I put one foot in front of the other and move forward. If I look back, it’s only to see how far I’ve come.

Show us yours

Join us in a few weeks when we kick off the weekly link up with this amazing quote!

WHO IS YOUR MAGIC?

TWSS: Take a Lover That Looks at You Like Maybe YOU Are Magic- Frida Kahlo

Continue Reading

Linkups

That’s What She Said – Inspirational Blog Hop

Published

on

That's What She Said 2

How it works

Each month we will pick a quote, the quotes we choose are women’s words… get it? That’s What She Said.

The link up will run for 2 weeks.

We will pin and feature our favorites, the following month.

You will always know what the next month’s quote is, we will have it posted here, and sent to your inbox!

Rules

We would like for you to connect with others, please visit the person who linked up before you, and go show some love.

Of course, it’s always fun to connect, let’s follow each other along.

Number one rule: Have fun and be creative ♡

hoststwss

TWSS-Crew-1024x341

Mrs AOK, a Work in Progress Courtney: What’s Up With the Wilhelms Katy: Chaos & Kiddos

What she said

7pRX0S0c_400x400

Book Delight, shared a story of strength about her best friend.

zCgbrDgp

Afro Chic Mompreneur, shared how she doesn’t allow her pain to be an excuse to fail, rather it is her motivation.

This month's quote

TWSS

Admittedly, I hate winter. But somehow, this is still my favorite time of year. While I’d be thrilled to trade in the cold days, dreary grays and blistering winds, the holiday season reminds me of home and family and all that is good in my life. There is something about hot cocoa at late night football games, falling leaves and bursts of color, the crisp crunch of frost beneath your feet at the Christmas tree farm, and the warm smells of your favorite recipes cooking that make the heart feel happy. Perhaps the holiday season happens during the dreariest time of year because the “forced isolation” of the weather pushes us closer to those people most important in our lives. Everything slows down a bit, families huddle by the fire, even the sun goes down earlier, bringing everyone home for dinner at the table.

It’s also a time for reflection. In the quiet of the winter weather, late at night, when everything is still and frozen, or even first thing in the morning when the snow on the ground is fresh and untouched, you can look back on the year and just think. Absorb. And with that fresh white, not yet trampled snow, you can look forward with a clean slate. After winter comes spring. New growth, starting over. We appreciate the warmth and the sun, because winter kept us in the dark and the cold. We would take the beauty of spring for granted if we weren’t coming out of the harshness of winter.

Maybe I don’t hate winter after all. I sure do hate feeling cold, but I love feeling like I’m on the cusp of starting fresh and new. I love the ability to discard the old, close a chapter and look forward to spring and new life. This is the time of year for family, love, healing, hope and merriment. Cuddle close to the ones you love, toss the bitterness of old into the wind, and step out in the new fresh snow.

Show Us Yours

Make it Pinteresting

Jan Q

unnamed-1

Continue Reading

Linkups

Social Media Saturdays

Published

on

social media saturdays

Welcome to Social Media Saturdays, the one and only linkup sponsored by the International Bloggers Association, where bloggers grow together. Have you joined yet? If not, go there now!

We’re all about making new friends and finding each other in the places we hang out online. This is the place to mingle, make new friends and form real relationships– not the place to drop links and leave!

If that sounds good to you, then by all means, share the links to your social media accounts here!

Here are the rules:

1. You don’t have to, but if you want to be classy please follow your hosts in each category that you join. We are:

Brittany at brittanybullen.com, Giada at giada100.com, Katy at chaosandkiddos.com,

Keitha at bajantexan.blogspot.com, Tina at gringoslocos6.com, Marg at margsworld.com

Paula at paulabuenosaires.com, Shana at Technotini.com, Anni at Grapefruitprincess.com, Cathy at APeekIntoMyParadise.com, Jillian at babydoodah.com and Kaitlyn at threesistersandus.com!

2. Tweet about the party and spread the word so that we can all connect with new friends! The more people who join us, the better experience we all have!

Click the button below or write your own tweet with the hashtag #ilovesocialsaturday so your new friends know where you came from and so that we can chat all day!

3. Follow the person before you in each category that you join and at least 2 more so that we make sure everybody gets some love!

4. If you’d like to put our badge on your site, grab the HTML here. Let us know if you did because we sure do love people who love us!

Social Media Saturdays

Let’s get started!!! Happy Saturday!!

P.S. If you want to make sure you don’t miss the party (or just say hi!) head over and like our facebook page, Social Media Saturdays. And, if you want to see some SERIOUS growth on your blog, don’t forget to come and join the International Bloggers Association!

Fill out my online form.

iba_directory

Browse IBA blog directory!

There, you can find great new friends in your niche to subscribe to and visit regularly. Don’t miss this fantastic opportunity to build a network of support!

We’re so excited to introduce the newest addition to our weekly linkup– the first-ever official IBA Blog Hop! This hop is just for members of the IBA (badge required) to visit each other’s latest posts in any category and share the love. If you submit a link here, make sure to visit and comment on and/or share three more.

Each week, we’ll be featuring the three posts that got the most clicks in the previous week, so make sure to come back to see if you’ve been featured! Happy Blog-Hopping!

Here are the featured posts from last week’s Social Media Saturday

Christmas ABC Art Book

Georgina at Craftulate

DIY Christmas Holiday Tutorials

Keitha at The Bajan Texan

Homemade Hummus & Christmas Chips

Laura at Mommy Maleta

Social Media Saturdays Blog Hop

If you get featured, grab the badge!

Social Media Saturdays Blog Hop

And now linkup your social accounts!

Social Media Saturdays